Friday, December 19, 2008

Sweet Baby

After moving, I got in to see an OB that I quickly discovered I would rather not see, so after changing insurance I was able to see a doctor a friend had recommended. Because we still don't know many people, I've taken all my kids with me to various appointments (and had to be creative about explaining certain things, as well as offer some outright bribes for good behavior), including the ER yesterday (I'll get to that later).

I saw the new doctor on a Monday, and the very next day I went into labor! That Tuesday, I ran errands with my girls, and started feeling a really sharp, localized pain in my back and abdomen. It didn't come and go like contractions, but was constant and very painful. I tried laying down in the afternoon to get it to go away (I thought it was from carrying Maia around that morning), but nothing made it feel better. I also wasn't feeling the baby move and I had a fever. I was really afraid something was wrong! I really didn't want to go in (so inconvenient!, but decided that I probably ought to. I did end up calling my only friend in the immediate vicinity who was very nice about letting me leave the kids with her. I went to the hospital with my bag, though it wasn't completely packed, because I was sure they were sending me home! I didn't take cameras or anything else either. I called Miguel at work and told him to stay there, I was just getting checked and not to worry (he still teases me about this because I called him crying).

I'm sorry this is so long. Someone needs to help me learn how to abridge myself. I started having contractions on the way to the hospital, though they were light. At one point, I had to stop at a drive-thru burger joint to ask for directions to the hospital! The poor teenage girl looked like a deer in the headlights when I asked her how to get to the hospital-- at least she will always have that fun story to tell.

In the hospital, the L & D nurse was really nice (amazing how differently they treat you with a fourth baby than a first). I kept insisting that I probably wasn't in labor, that I just wanted them to check the baby, but of course they admitted me and strapped me up to all their machines and called the doctor. The machine showed that I was having contractions, and after an hour and a half of watching me they decided I was progressing and therefore decided to keep me!

My new doctor, bless his heart, actually came to check on me at 10 pm and I wasn't ready yet, so he went in another room and slept. Meantime, of course Miguel had arrived, my mom had driven down to take the kids (they actually stopped by...they weren't sure what to think), and my sister stayed with me after my mom left. Everyone tried to sleep a little, and the nurse came in about midnight to check me again. She said she thought I was pretty close to delivering, but wanted to check before we woke up everyone, so she asked me to give a little push and see what happened. Pretty quickly she asked me to stop pushing and she went to get the doctor.

The room was soon bustling with green scrub-clad medical people getting ready for our new arrival. The doctor and nurses were fiddling with his chair when I felt a funny sensation (I had an epidural) like the baby was starting to slip out a little bit. Everyone was pretty preoccupied, and I didn't want to bother them, but I thought I'd better tell them. "Um, I have a weird feeling like the baby is starting to slip out," was all it took and everyone was suddenly right there. Miguel said the baby's head was completely out already. Good thing I said something or that baby might have been on the floor! :)

One little push and she was out! To me, she is beautiful as can be, and has a different look than the other kids. (they are all beautiful as can be, I didn't mean that to come out wrong) Of course she is super sweet and has been a great baby so far. It has sure been fun having kids just a tad older this time, so they can enjoy her that much more.

It took a couple of days to get her a name, (another thing I went to the hospital without!) but having a couple of quiet days in the hospital seemed to help. It just seemed to fit her.

Since then, we've been beguiling away the time just enjoying her and enjoying each other. I have felt great except for my legs. I thought they'd get better after she was born, but they actually hurt worse for the first couple of days. Then I noticed a red, swollen,lump on one leg a few days after we got home from the hospital. The doctor said it was probably a blood clot. Since it was in a superficial vein, the doctor prescribed an antibiotic and wanted me to watch it for a few days to see if it improved.

It improved a little, but I was still having quite a bit of leg pain, and I was worried about a clot in a deeper vein. Again, so inconvenient, but since it was still hurting yesterday I had to go back to the ER so they could do an ultrasound on my leg. They noticed the superficial clot but nothing in the deep veins, though he noted that I "definitely have some varicosities." (thank you!) Its probably those that are still hurting.

So I have to continue to wear my fashion hosiery for the next four weeks and just make sure I don't sit or stand too much.

In the end, she is definitely worth it all! Amazing that once they get here, all of those aches and pains are worth it.







6 comments:

Marie said...

Oh Corinne! She's beautiful! I am so excited to see pictures. And I hate you are still hurting!!!! I loved reading this story and it brought tears to my eyes as I remembered how wonderful you are and how much I miss you! I hope we will see you soon!

Erica said...

YEAH!! Congrats- I am so glad that she is here and boy do you have a real story to tell about her birth. You are the bravest woman to move to a new state right before having a baby. I hope your legs get better fast- you need to be able to really enjoy that new baby without any pain.

mjnetty said...

Corn - congratulations on your new baby! What did you name her, or did I miss that part? What an adventure you had! I wish I lived a little closer so I could help you out. Take care of yourself!
Jamie

Ashley said...

What a tale to tell! She is absolutely precious! I can't believe you had to stop to ask how to get to the hospital- crazy! I really hope your legs get feeling better and that you all have a wonderful Christmas! (Kyla says hi to Mia)

Karl said...

Wonderful story--so you, not wanting to bother anyone. Thanks for posting the photos. Ava is so precious! --Jen & family

Jolayne said...

She is beautiful.