Sunday, December 11, 2011

Crazy

I started writing poems (if you call them that) when I was a teenager.  It helped me deal with some of the angst.  I still like to write them, but for different reasons.  Mostly I want to capture moments so I'll remember them.  These may be horrible, and maybe I'll re-think sharing them, but for now, I thought I'd share one.  If anyone has any suggestions to help me improve it would be appreciated.  Miguel is not the right one for me to ask because he only likes rhyming poems.  Here is a recent one:

I wrote this one a couple of years ago about Kaedon.  One of the things I've loved about having kids is how it has changed my whole perspective on life.  I know I give up a lot of things to be a mom, but I wouldn't change a thing!  My happiest memories come from being with them and watching them grow up.

Pace
I used to walk
Like a metronome
Marching at one hundred beats
Per minute,
Sure
That my life was a
Perpetual
Train-catching
Exercise.
Then you came along,
A little
Bundle of
Random curiosity
With nothing
On your agenda but
Noticing.
Your blue eyes
Helped me see
The wandering bug,
Autumn trees
Dripping sunshine leaf by leaf,
And you, the biggest
Miracle of all.
Without you,
I’d be on that train somewhere,
Watching the countryside
Whiz by in giant
Puddle-blurs--I’d have missed your
Little smiles,
Wispy angel hair,
And watching you fall asleep
With a stick in each hand.
You are my adagio masterpiece,
The one who helped me
See a forest full of
Trees.

1 comment:

Jen said...

These are beautiful! I wouldn't change a thing. More please!