Thursday, February 9, 2012

Entertainment, Jedi Style



(We're glad you used your Jedi mind trick on us, thank you very much.)

We recently put our DirectTV (or whatever it is, not sure I know) on vacation hold for the next few months.  It seemed like every time we wanted to watch something (which we seem to do less and less), there was nothing worthwhile on.  $90 seemed like a lot of money per month for 30 minutes of half-hearted TV watching. 

It has been harder than I thought.  I really enjoy having the preschool channels for the kids-- channels such as Sprout and Noggin and Disney (in the morning).  I like them because they're free of the kind of advertising found on other channels and their programming feels more educational than a kid's movie.  I miss it for me, too, and for hubby time.   I have enjoyed reading but I do miss feeling connected to the outside world, even if TV's connection to the outside world is sort of debatable. 

One night we had a couple of friends over and we sat down in our study and took turns showing each other funny (clean) YouTube videos.   It was so much fun we did it with another couple on a different night.   Here are just a couple of them.   The Cello Wars one is sure fun for kids; The Piano Guys make some great stuff-- there is a Harry Potter one as well as a favorite called "Peponi."  Kids and adults enjoy "Dad's Life"--   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOKuSQIJlog .   I couldn't wait to tell my mom about the Piano Guys and it was old news, she'd been subscribed to them for ages and didn't I know my aunt had won a service auction in her ward and had Jon Schmidt play a private concert in her living room?   Another thing I learned is that they are Mormons, too.

One of my favorite videos, introduced to me by my cousin, is called Alright, Byron ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaJ4c5D2vkU ).  Not even sure where it came from but it makes me laugh!  Sometimes, life gets tough and I just need a good laugh!  I love how creative people can be.

No comments: