Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Goodbye, Friend

We were told not to expect to get to know our neighbors in England; they said the British are very private and wouldn't appear to be as friendly as we were used to in America.  We had had unfriendly neighbors in America before, so my expectations were really low.

Then we met June.  A retired American Airlines employee, she married for the first time in her late fifties to a man who was also in his late fifties and similarly had never been married before.  Before I knew it, we had struck up a friendship.  I only had Kaedon then-- and he was just little.  She invited me for a walk in Windsor Great Park (I fell in love with those ancient trees), on a separate occasion she introduced me to some delicious food (first time I had ever bought venison) at a local farmers market, and we had occasional girls nights out with a mutual friend.  She always remembered Kaedon's birthday with the cutest little thoughtful presents and did the same on Christmas.  One day our power was out and she brought over some candles and sat with us until it came back on.  She was always kind, friendly, and a fun conversationalist.  She is one of the first women who really taught me about friendship as a married adult.  Before this, I never thought I needed friends.

There has been a little void since I have no longer been able to see June with an ocean betwixt us :), though we exchanged yearly Christmas cards.  Just last fall she remembered Kaedon's birthday, even after all these years.  Just a short time ago I found out June had passed away after a long battle with breast cancer.

I will miss her, but I will always remember her example and kindness, and hope to be a better person for having known her.  Some day I hope we can sit on "June's Seat"-- her favorite resting spot on a beautiful walk in England-- and catch up.  :)

No comments: