Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Church in New York and a Mormon Moment

One thing I like about being a Mormon is that the church is the same wherever you go.  People in Brazil sing out of the same hymnbooks (in their own language of course) that people use in Minnesota.  You would get the same lesson in China as in Kentucky. 

We went to church in Pamplona when on our honeymoon.  It was over a bar.  That was a little different for me, but once we got inside, the people were warm and welcoming.  I even bore my testimony to the muffled snickers of all the children (which told me the adults had been very polite about my Spanish).  While there are minor differences, the same thread weaves through all.  The same songs, the sacrament torn by young white-shirt clad teens, the same feeling, the same togetherness.  It makes even a new, foreign place feel like home.

So I was curious about church in New York.  My sis walked me to the building, which we found on Mormon.org.  One of the differences I could see at first was that there were other families arriving in taxis.  That was new for me.   Never been to church in a taxi or seen anyone arrive in a taxi.  The building was a small high-rise with an elevator and classes on different floors.  We had Sacrament Meeting on the uppermost floor. 

Demographically it was a little different for me-- not many kids or teens.  It was more diverse than where we live in the West (I wish there were more diversity where we live!), with one man bearing testimony in Spanish (it was really touching-- he was so sincere and humble... and I actually understood bits and pieces, which surprised me because I'm so rusty).  The leader of the congregation was African American.  Not that I care one bit what his race is, it's just, people don't always see Mormons as being a diverse people.  And one little boy, cute little Asian boy, bore a long and cute testimony about how many times he wants to punch his brother (complete with balled up fist for demonstration) and how the Spirit stops him from punching his brother (other hand comes up to stop the enthusiastically punching fist).  I was impressed with his endearingly sweet and innocent and childlike testimony and thought that his parents had taught him well.

To see a beautiful rendition of a Mormon tradition, pioneer trek, see here.

To read about an experience that changed my life, and not just in religious ways, see here.

Infographic on Mormons here.

This video about Mormon missionaries trying a new tactic on a busy New York street made me happy and sad all at once. It brought back so many memories! See the looks on the people's faces? I got very familiar with that look when I was a missionary in Dallas.  Yet being a missionary still helped me love people in a deeper way, a way I never had before. I love how the missionaries in the video take it all in stride with a good sense of humor.

I know I don't talk about my faith very much, but it means the world to me.  I feel like everything good in my life has come from that direction.  I know we (Mormons) can be viewed as weird, or that we seem brainwashed, or restrictive, or secretive (I may cover more of this later).  But if you just step inside our world for a moment, it is beautiful.   It makes sense, undistorted by all the misconceptions and misconstructions out there.  All of the crazy media coverage lately has exposed some of the awful things people think about Mormons, but I hope it will also expose the truth-- that most of us are just trying to live good lives, be like Christ, forgiving, loving, kind.   Even if you don't believe the way we do, come walk in our shoes for a minute.  It feels good.  I promise they don't have horns or extra wives. :)  But they might have blisters, worn for God and others.  :)




No comments: