Friday, August 17, 2012

New York Day 4 1/2


First part of day four in New York here.  After a wonderful trip to the Immigration Museum and a ferry ride with one of the cutest baby boys that ever lived :), I thought I'd hoof it to the Tenement Museum.  (I love to use Frommer's when we travel, example here...because it rates "attractions" with a zero to three star rating) 

I figured walking there would be no sweat.  But I don't get data on my phone, and I miscalculated how big Manhattan really is (ha ha, oh well).   So after gettting slightly lost in this cute district just north of the financial district, I took my second of two Satan taxi cab rides while in NYC (my sister took us on the first one, she said the guy was tame, but I thought he was going to kill us and a few bikers/peds along the way). 





When I got to the Tenement Museum, it looked really classy (funny, because it is about understanding the poor living conditions of immigrants in the early 20th century), but wouldn't allow children under 5.  Ouch.  I did get to watch a free movie inside while I nursed baby away from the heat.

(I saw this quote on the wall of a Salvation Army building toward the end of being lost.  LOVE it.)

Then I got lost.   Then I got on a bus.  Then I walked a lot because I miscalculated how far my sister's apartment was.  Then I got sort of lost again.  But it was fun!  (mostly)  I finally broke down and got more pizza when I saw what looked like a bunch of locals enjoying a corner pizzeria.  It was enjoyable.  And I tried it New York style, folded in half, and shared with cute Emerson.  YUM.


After a brief moment in Tia's apartment, where it was clear that Emerson was bored after being so entertained outside, we went back out.  We went to the New York Public Libary (beautiful building, closed, but baby loved running around), Grand Central Station (wow-- gorgeous...), and the Chrysler Building (Art Deco lobby with mural on the ceiling).  Then I met my sister and we walked some more, had more pizza, and laughed that we miscalculated the closing time of the library and some other attractions.  What a great day. 




















1 comment: